By this time next week the Andy Reid era as the Head Coach of the Philadelphia Eagles will likely be over, and his final contribution to the organization could be a top three pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.
After falling to the Washington Redskins on Sunday in Week 16, the Eagles kept pace with the teams at the top of the draft board in the race for the number one overall pick. With matching 2-13 records, the Jaguars and Chiefs are assured the top two selections but the Birds still have a chance at the No. 3 overall choice.
The Eagles take the trek north on the Jersey Turnpike this Sunday to take on NFC East division rival the New York Giants in the season finale. And the G-Men need a win and help to make the postseason with a wildcard berth. Meanwhile, needless to say, the Eagles have little left to play for in, what could amount to be Reid’s final game as Head Coach.
The only team ahead of the Eagles in the race for the No. 3 spot are the Oakland Raiders, who have a very winnable game in Week 17 against the San Diego Chargers (6-9).
A Raiders win over the Chargers coupled with an Eagles loss would ensure the Birds would select third in the upcoming draft.
Current 2013 NFL Draft Order
1. Kansas City Chiefs – 2-13 (.489 SOS)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – 2-13 (.551 SOS)
3. Oakland Raiders – 4-11 (.471 SOS)
4. Philadelphia Eagles – 4-11 (.507 SOS)
5. Detroit Lions – 4-11 (.569 SOS)
6. Buffalo Bills – 5-10 (.493 SOS)
7. Cleveland Browns – 5-10 (.502 SOS)
8. Arizona Cardinals – 5-10 (.553 SOS)
9. Tennessee Titans – 5-10 (.538 SOS)